PSN Chair Resource Centre
At a minimum, each PSN is required to have a PSN chair. The term of the PSN chair is at least 1 year but can be extended.
Term and Responsibilities of PSN Chairs
PSN Chair Term: one-year term following term as PSN Chair-Elect, renewable if a Chair-elect position is vacant and the PSN membership is in agreement – no limit
- Suggests PSN-related topics to the Professional Practice Team for the Professional Practice Conference
- Monitors posts within the PSN
- Issues warnings of policy infractions, as required, within the PSN
- Informs the PSN Administrator whenever there is a new PSN Chair.
Ad hoc responsibilities
- Issue calls for interested PSN members to represent CSHP on an external committee or task force, upon request of the CSHP CEO
- Communicates with relevant CSHP committees
- Reviews requests for the PSN’s participation in volunteer activities such as the following:
- Facilitating communication and dissemination of news and educational materials to PSN members at the request of the CSHP National Office
- Participating in research projects
- Participating in surveys
- Reviewing articles for the Canadian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy
- Writing or reviewing CSHP publications
Electing and Appointing a PSN Chair
In maintaining the principles of democracy, it is best to invite members to apply for a vacant PSN Chair position, by posting in the PSN.
In the event that two members are interested in the position, a Co-Chair concept should be encouraged. Elections if required (three or more interested persons for one position), may be conducted during a meeting, by email, or by using polling software. It is recognized that many positions may be filled by acclamation.
The PSN Administrator and/or PSN Chair monitors messages to assess compliance with the CSHP PSN Handbooks and CSHP policies and procedures. Unacceptable posts are removed from the platform by the PSN Administrator.
Members can contact the PSN Administrator or PSN Chair to share concerns about a post.
Matters of non-compliance are discussed among the PSN Chair, the CSHP CEO, and CSHP President. If the decision is to issue a warning to the member, the Chair of the PSN does so. If the decision is to suspend or terminate a member from a PSN, the Chair of the PSN informs the member and the PSN Administrator regarding the decision.
Keeping the PSN Active
Post and respond to questions.
Communicate. It is important to maintain dialogue among members.
- Post practice-related questions and controversies for comments
- Post reminders about PSN educational sessions at CSHP conferences at least six weeks prior to the conference
- Solicit feedback
- Share information about guidelines for practice
- Advertise educational events
Collaborate. Collaboration may be undertaken on projects (such as practice-based research, publications).
Promote the PSN to colleagues who are not PSN members and who may benefit from participating in the community.
Promote PSNs through Interactions to highlight individual PSNs and to encourage member enrollment.
Encourage your PSN to meet face to face or by teleconference.
If any PSN plans on hosting an event that is not a typical event, it must be reported to CSHP (such as mountain climbing, horseback riding, etc.), and a separate insurance premium paid. PSN events taking place during the national conferences are included under the national coverage for these events. All other events involving alcohol outside of these national events must be reported to CSHP in order to have appropriate insurance coverage. (See below for more information.)
Before committing to a project or event, each PSN must ensure that sufficient financial funds or office support are available. Funds can be obtained from external sources unless there is prior funding from CSHP. Funds will be managed through CSHP.
Hold Educational Sessions. These may be held at CSHP's annual conferences educational programs. (See below for more information.)
Teleconference services are available to the PSNs. Requests to hold a teleconference (date/time) should be forwarded to the PSN Administrator who maintains a master booking log. Once a date and time are confirmed, please contact the PSN Administrator who will provide the teleconference number and assign a passcode.
Holding Educational Sessions
Educational sessions are highly encouraged, and they may be held at CSHP's annual educational programs: the Professional Practice Conference (PPC), and the Western Branches Banff Seminar.
If there is a large enough group of members within a CSHP Branch, it is encouraged that the local PSN members plan and organize educational events or sessions at Branch AGMs or the Banff Seminar. These Branch events would not be funded or supported by CSHP. Branch support or local funding would be required. All funds must be managed through CSHP.
For events at PPC:
Snacks & Beverages cannot be purchased for PSN educational sessions at conferences.
- The Professional Practice Team will issue a call to the PSN Chairs to determine topics for educational sessions at PPC. If you wish to have a session at a future conference, please contact the Professional Practice Team for information and details.
For events at Banff Seminar:
- Contact the Banff Seminar Coordinator, by September, to ask if the request can be accommodated.
CSHP can provide general administrative support on request such as the distribution of electronic newsletters and materials promoting or supporting PSN-related activities. However, the goal is for each PSN to communicate with its members within the platform whenever possible.
CSHP maintains a record of members who have volunteered to serve as a PSN Chair. If your group is looking for a Chair, please contact the PSN Administrator for a current list of members who have volunteered for this role.
|January||Continue to promote the PSN sessions being presented at PPC|
Send reminder notice to PSN members about educational sessions at Banff Seminar (post PPC if applicable)
30th - Submission deadline for PSN session suggestions/requests to be presented at PPC. To be received by the Conference & PSN Administrator
Contact Banff Seminar Coordinator to request PSN educational session at Banff Seminar (if applicable)
|October||Promote the PPC preliminary program highlighting the PSN sessions being presented|
1st—Deadlines to request PSN meeting at PPC (submit to requests to Conference Administrator)
Send reminder notice to PSN members about educational sessions at PPC (if applicable)
Conducting Surveys of all PSNs
Surveys of all PSNs are conducted every 2 years to provide the PSN members an opportunity to provide feedback on the overall operations of each PSN they are subscribed to.
- CSHP prepares a core set of questions that are to be asked of all PSN members. Building on that core set of questions, each chair can add his or her own questions specific to the PSN. For instance, the chair may ask the PSN members to identify potential speakers or topics at conferences and for volunteers for various positions in the PSN.
- The survey will be distributed via the PSN.
- The results of the individual surveys are shared with the respective PSN Chair.
For inquiries related to financial matters, please contact CSHP’s Director, Corporate Services.
No activity that requires funds should be started without sufficient funds available to support the activity.